Imagine that there was something that influenced every move you make, but you had no control over it – Would you want to know more about it? Our subconscious is that part of our mind that is out of our awareness (what we know) but has a huge influence on our opinions, our choices, and our actions. Therapists have hypothesized for years, and brain research now verifies, that what we call the subconscious is actually a complex network of wires in our Reptilian Brain – the oldest and most primitive part of our mind.
So how do we get access to this hidden part of our psyche, that largely defines, and controls who we are? Here is one of my favourite techniques:
- Take a piece of paper and draw a vertical line down the middle of the page.
- Take 3 deep belly breaths and treat yourself to some relaxation.
- Put a pen in your dominant hand, and write down a question you wish to ask your subconscious.
- Next, put the pen in your other hand, and write down the first answer to comes to your mind (try not to over-think this)
- Now, put the pen back in your dominant hand and continue the conversation in this way – back and forth.
- Did you find out anything interesting?
Not only will you gain some clarity into your subconscious thinking by doing this exercise, but you will also help your brain strengthen the connections between your Right Hemisphere (which controls your left hand) and your Left Hemisphere (which controls your right hand). Connecting the two hemispheres in this way is called Integration, and it has been shown to be essential for intelligence and well-being.