Feelings are our body’s way of letting us know that there is something going on that we should pay attention to. Especially when the same feeling keeps rearing its emotional head, it may be a good idea to get to the bottom of it.
But feelings are also electrical currents passing through our body’s nervous system that have more to do with our biological nature than with our mental experience. For example, a large part of what we experience as Fear is actually a residual reflex from a time when we had to worry about not being eaten by wild animals.
Here is a quick and easy technique for turning a feeling around when you wish to do so:
The Spiral Technique
- Bring up the disturbing issue.
- Rate the feeling from 0-10 where 0 is neutral and 10 is the most disturbing you can imagine.
- Concentrate on where you feel the feeling in your body.
- Pretend that the feeling is a burst of wind that is moving as a spiral.
- What direction is it moving in? (clockwise or counterclockwise).
- Change that direction in your mind and let the spiral move in the opposite direction.
- You are probably already feeling some relief. Measure it again from 0-10.