Use this exercise on days you feel down, and need a quick pick me up. Here are the steps:
- Take three deep breaths, let feelings of calm and relaxation spread through your body. Let your muscles relax and close your eyes.
- As your muscles let go, become aware of your dominant hand. Touch your thumb to your index finger. As you do, think back to your past, to a time when you felt really cared for and loved. Maybe it’s a birthday party your parents threw for you, or the time a family member took care of you when you were sick.
- Next, touch your thumb to your middle finger. Think back to a time when you felt really successful. It could be a graduation, a promotion and good grade or anything that makes you feel successful.
- Next, touch your thumb to your ring finger and remember a time that you did something important for someone else. This can be any moment of selflessness that’s important to you.
- Finally, touch your thumb to your pinkie and look for a memory where you felt intense love for someone. Let that feeling fill your heart.
Need some more help with feeling down? Read: If everything is so great, why am I unhappy?